Is Jesus the Son of God? Now John supports his position about the doctrine of Jesus Christ against the Gnostic doctrine. John appeals to the evidence of two types of witnesses.
Two Types of Witnesses
- A threefold witness on earth
- A threefold witness in heaven
The Threefold Witnesses on Earth – 1 John 5:6, 8
These witnesses includes evidence from physical events that other have seen and the Bible reports them.
- Water – During Jesus’ baptism there was a supernatural witness of His identity and mission. (John 1:31-33, Matthew 3:13-15)
- Blood – The events at Jesus’ death on the cross and resurrection are a witness. They are essential for the forgiveness of sins (Matthew 26:28, John 19:34-35, Hebrews 9:22)
- Spirit – The coming of the Holy Spirit on believers the day of Pentecost as prophesied by Jesus. (John 15:26, Acts 1:4-5, 2:1-4)
The Threefold Witness in Heaven– 1 John 5:7
These witnesses include spiritual evidences and confirmations of Jesus’ ministry.
- The Father – The Father witnesses at Jesus’ baptism (Matthew 3:16-17) and at the transfiguration (Matthew 17:5) and in many other occasions (John 1:1, 8:18, 54, 10:30, 38, 12:28)
- The Word – The Word of God prophesied from the beginning about the Messiah. In a way, He was the Word made flesh (John 1:1, 1 John 1:1, 14). Specific details of His life and ministry too many to list here.
- The Holy Spirit – The Holy Spirit operated in His Life to do His miracles and in those who believe and obey Him (John 1:33, Acts 10:38, Acts 2:33, 5:32, Hebrews 2:3-4)
All these evidences agree with each other.
Believers’ Confidence in Christ – 1 John 5:9-15
The principle of establishing the truth by the word of two or three witnesses was applied in the Old and New Testament (Deuteronomy 19:15, Matthew 18:16, 2 Corinthians 13:1, 1 Timothy 5:19). With these six witnesses, the believer can have confidence in Jesus Christ.
We can have assurance of eternal life because the source of some of these witnesses is God Himself, who cannot lie (Titus 1:3, Numbers 23:19). If we don’t believe His witness we make Him a liar (1 John 5:10).
How the Children of God Differ from the Children of the Devil
Your confidence that Jesus is the Son of God is shown by the love we have for each other.
The children of God are different from the children of the devil. The children of God practice righteousness and love each other. This is how we know that we have passed from death to life. (1 John 5:16)
The children of the devil hates those who are righteous and their works are evil (1 John 5:12). They do not have eternal life in them. (1 John 5:15)
What Can You Do with This Truth?
- You can believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and reject all doubt.
- You can find how much you believe it from the love you have for your brothers
- When you find no love in you, something make you lose your fellowship with Him.
- Go back to His presence and love to walk in His light and resolve the conflict.
The one in You has overcome the world.
© 2014 – 2019, Pastor Maurizio. All rights reserved."Is Jesus the Son of God? - 6 Witnesses Agree",