Being born-again opens up the spiritual dimension of the Kingdom of God. This is not a mental concept, it is a spiritual reality that we need to experience. It is God’s plan for us. It re-establishes our relationship with God. The impact on our life is huge. This chapter shows some key concepts we need to understand.
- John 3:1-2 – Nicodemus came to see Jesus by night
- John 3:3 – Jesus said, “No one can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born-again”
- John 3:4 – Nicodemus asks, “How can one be born again.”
- John 3:5-12 – Jesus answers, “What is born of the flesh is flesh, what is born of the Spirit is spirit,”
- John 3:13 – No one has gone to heaven except the one who came from heaven.
- John 3:14-15 – As Moses lifted up the snake, so the Son of Man must be lifted up
- John 3:16-18 – God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son
- John 3:19-21 – Everyone who does evil hates the light
- John 3:22-30 – John the Baptist testifies of Jesus
- John 3:31-34 – The one who comes from above is above all
- John 3:35-36 – Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life
Born-again into a New Dimension, God’s Kingdom
In the first half of the chapter we learn some fundamental truths:
- The meaning of being born-again (John 3:6, 15)
- How to be born-again (John 3:5-6, 16)
- The impact of being born-again (John 3:3, 5, 8,17-18)
- The operation of the Holy Spirit (John 3:5, 7-8)
- The meaning of Moses lifting up the serpent on a pole as a type of Jesus’ crucifixion (John 3:14-15)
- The unconditional love that God has for the “world” (John 3:16-17)
- The impact of believing in Jesus in our life (John 3:3, 5, 15, 16-18, 21)
- Why people reject Jesus (John 3:18-21)
Taking Your Salvation by Faith
We may have heard these doctrines many times, but meditating on them is essential for planting these truths in our heart and harvesting the benefits. I believe that memorizing most of these verses will have an enormous impact on your understanding and your life.
A short blog is really inadequate to convey the message in these verses. But even a long one would not be enough. Only your meditation on them for as long as you need it will show the power of these life changing truths.
You cannot understand and receive these truths intellectually. You must experienced them. The experience comes from choosing to believe what God says about them and starting to live in that reality. The word “receiving” is not a passive attitude but in Greek is “λαμβάνω” which means “to take, to grasp”.
God’s Unconditional Love
God’s unconditional love for the world (John 3:16) does not mean that He approves of the unholy conduct of men. Rather, it means that He desires the well-being and happiness of every person. Just like a mother who does not like what her son does, because she realizes that he is hurting himself, but she still loves her son and would like to see him happy. She does everything she can to make that happen.
Well, God did everything He could do to make you happy and to break the consequences of your wrong attitude, decisions and actions (Jn 10:10, Gal 3:13). He has provided everything we need for “life and godliness” (2Pet 1:3).
The Evil Heart of Unbelief
Jesus did not come to condemn men, but to set them free from their sins and the consequences of their sins (John 3:17-20). No one who would see the truth about this unbelievable bargain offered to men could refuse it. All your problems come from not believing the truth because you have been deceived and believe a lie. You always believe something. What you chose is what you think is the best choice for you at that time and what is going to bring you the greatest happiness.
Eve chose to believe the serpent and her senses instead of what God had said and sinned, producing pain and death. You and I sin when we choose to believe what our senses and our reasoning are telling us that it is going to make us happy instead of what our spirit knows God has said. Then we suffer because we choose the wrong belief and that will produce the wrong actions.
What You Believe Determines What You Choose
Jesus’ teachings, life, death and resurrection brought to light the truth. Those who reject His message of freedom do it because they don’t believe His promise of an abundant life (John 10:10) and prefer to stay in their sins. All sins come from wrong heart-belief. Our heart beliefs always create our reality (Pro 23:7).
To the degree that we have understood this truth, we have accepted Jesus and walk in His light. Our mission is to be witnesses to this truth and spread the message of reconciliation (2Cor 5:17-21).
The Witness When Your Heart Is Open
The chapter closes with John the Baptist’s witness to this truth and unreserved endorsement of Jesus’ ministry and identity.
Prayer of Faith
Father, thank you for the wonderful gift of abundant and eternal life you have given me. Because I believe in Jesus, I am reconciled to God. I am forgiven. I am born again. I am a new creation. I am free. I am blessed. I am loved and I experience this love every day. Today my existence and identity is in Him. I am born again and live the resurrected life because the same Spirit who raised Jesus from the dead has raised me to a new life. The Holy Spirit lives in me and comforts me. Hallelujah.
In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen!
Please “like” and “share” this post on your social networks. Thank you.
Do you know someone who would benefit from this blog? Share it with them.
[ep-social-widget facebook=”https://facebook.com” gplus=”https://plus.google.com” rss=”1″]