Proverbs – Chapter 22 –
The Evil of Laziness
From the number of times that laziness is mentioned in Proverbs, we must conclude that it can be a major problem. The following verses show the serious impact that laziness can have on our life.
- Pro 10:26 As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, So is the lazy man to those who send him.
- Pro 12:24 The hand of the diligent will rule, But the lazy man will be put to forced labor.
- Pro 12:27 The lazy man does not roast what he took in hunting, But diligence is man’s precious possession.
- Pro 13:4 The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing; But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich.
- Pro 15:19 The way of the lazy man is like a hedge of thorns, But the way of the upright is a highway.
- Pro 19:15 Laziness casts one into a deep sleep, And an idle person will suffer hunger.
- Pro 19:24 A lazy man buries his hand in the bowl, And will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.
- Pro 20:4 The lazy man will not plow because of winter; He will beg during harvest and have nothing.
- Pro 21:25 The desire of the lazy man kills him, For his hands refuse to labor.
- Pro 22:13 The lazy man says, “There is a lion outside! I shall be slain in the streets!”
- Pro 24:30 I went by the field of the lazy man, And by the vineyard of the man devoid of understanding;
- Pro 26:13 The lazy man says, “There is a lion in the road! A fierce lion is in the streets!”
- Pro 26:14 As a door turns on its hinges, So does the lazy man on his bed.
- Pro 26:15 The lazy man buries his hand in the bowl; It wearies him to bring it back to his mouth.
- Pro 26:16 The lazy man is wiser in his own eyes Than seven men who can answer sensibly.
- Ecc 10:18 Because of laziness the building decays, And through idleness of hands the house leaks.
Having Wisdom in Friendship
Proverbs 22:24-25 – See also Pro 29:22.
Our friends have a strong influence on our life. My good friend, the late Dr. Alexander Ness, wrote a book on what he called “transference of spirits.” In that book he explained how spirits are transferred from one person to another just by exposure and interaction. He gives many examples of this spiritual phenomenon. He shows the biblical basis of how a rebellious child affects those that are peaceful and obedient, or a licentious person seduces the innocent, or a meeting can be changed from peaceful to chaos by a person full of strife. In some specific conditions this can work also in a positive direction, and a minister can bring harmony and unity when others have failed. But that requires great skill.
Often the change is slow and progressive, but other times it can be sudden and strong.
Anger is one of the emotions that produces strong behavior and is easily spread to others. Even Christians can be full of bitterness and anger because of unresolved hurts. The love of God in us may draw us to the angry person in trying to help. However, the Bible warns us to be wary of angry people. If you get too close to, or involved with them, you will be affected in a negative way. The root of bitterness has the ability to easily spread and defile many (Heb 12:15).
Those who are bitter pour out the bitterness in their heart on people around them. If you keep hearing their words you will begin to believe them and will pick up their attitude. It is better to distance yourself from these people to protect yourself. If you continue the relationship, soon they will also be angry with you,
Anger is an emotion that we must be careful with because it easily becomes sin (Eph 4:26) Remember that evil companionship corrupts morals (1 Cor 15:33)
I thank you Father, for all the guidance that we can have from your words. By following your instructions we can avoid many hurts and experience many blessings.
Thank you, in Jesus’ name. Amen!
Please “like” and “share” this post on your social networks. This is one effective way for you to witness to your friends contacts and thus fulfill the Great Commission. Thank you.
Do you know someone who is would benefit from this blog? Share it with them.
[ep-social-widget facebook=”https://facebook.com” gplus=”https://plus.google.com” rss=”1″]