June 14, 2012 – Daily Bible Reading

Today’s Reading

Acts – Chapter 26

• Paul’s defense before King Agrippa
  • Paul’s early life
  • Paul’s account of his conversion
  • Paul’s life after conversion
  • Paul’s challenge to King Agrippa

————

This chapter is the best course on “How to Witness”.

© 2012, Pastor Maurizio. All rights reserved.

About Pastor Maurizio

Maurizio Mingardi, in 1972, had an encounter with God that totally changed his life. From a scientist doing research in Quantum Mechanics and an atheist, Maurizio became a believer and a disciple of Jesus Christ. Then a spiritual journey began. He was filled with the Holy Spirit and later started Mount Zion Church of the Firstborn in Ottawa, Ontario. Maurizio has been in the ministry for more than 30 years and is presently the Senior Pastor of Mount Zion Church. He has also filled a number of executive positions in public and religious organizations. He has been elected President of the Evangelical Church Alliance Ministerial Fellowship of Canada. His goal is to help people to know God, discover and use their gifts and fulfill their destiny.
This entry was posted in Bible Study and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to June 14, 2012 – Daily Bible Reading

1. Liliane6600 says:

A couple of points I found interesting:
    1- Agrippa`s response to Paul’s challenge: “You almost persuade me to become a Christian”. Agrippa was put in an embarrassing position by Paul`s challenge. If he agreed with Paul, he would lose credibility with Festus, he would also likely lose Bernice, his immoral and sinful companion and all his immoral friends. Yet if he renounced the prophets, he would lose favor with the Jews. He escapes the dilemma by responding with an insincere and cynical comment.
    Even though it is likely that Agrippa respected Paul`s integrity, he rejected the gospel as he also did not want to be associated with a man in chains.

The peer pressure to which Agrippa yielded continues to exist to this day. Many of us show “fear of man” and do not carry out the great commission, for example, as we fear what our friends and family would think or say!

2- I found Verse 32 interesting in that Paul could have been set free had it not been that he had appealed to Ceasar. It appears then that once an appeal was made it could not be retracted. Was this a good or a bad thing? In my opinion, it was a positive thing as Paul’s journey to Rome allowed him to preach to the Roman empire, thus fulfilling God`s plan (Acts 9:15 (“bear My name before kings”); Acts 19:21 and 23:11 (“bear witness at Rome”).

• Robyn says:

Yes, I found Verse 32 revealing, too. I did not know that Paul could have been set free if he hadn’t appealed to Caesar. Guess God had bigger plans for Paul’s mission.

2. CecileC says:

A verse that I find key was Acts 26:28 when Agrippa said to Paul, ‘Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?
    Paul’s heart is revealed here in his words: he was more concerned for the salvation of these strangers than for the removal of his own chains.
    I ask God to give me a burning desire to see others come to Jesus – a desire so strong that it overshadows my problems, in Jesus’ name. Amen

• PeterCard says:

Paul’s defense of himself is brilliant. He starts by acknowledging King Agripa’s expertise in the customs of the Jews. Thus showing respect for the King. He then reminds everyone that they knew He was a Pharisee, and then questions why would it be wrong to believe that God could raise the dead, when resurrection of the dead is a doctrine of the Pharisee’s. Many of those that were opposing Paul were themselves Pharisee’s. He then confesses the role he took in opposing Jesus of Nazareth (the truth will set you free.) He then implicates the Chief Priests that gave Paul the authority to do what he did against the followers of Jesus Christ in vers 9 and 12. At this point in his defense I believe it was clear the Jews had a weak case against Paul.

3. Pastor Maurizio says:

I read Acts chapter 26.

This chapter is the best course on “How to Witness” I have ever seen. Paul is brilliant in using this opportunity to expound the whole Gospel. See his clever taking the attention of the hearers. He is just telling his story, but interprets events to reflect their spiritual content. Truly there was enough in his speech to make a believer anyone who was open. Paul also engaged the hearers by connecting their experience to his story.

I love this chapter. You can learn to be a more effective witness for the Lord just by applying the same principles as you talk to people. Seize the opportunities that come your way. They were created by the Holy Spirit.

Witnessing is not scary, as many believe. Witnessing is sharing your experiences, your life with others, simply adding the interpretation of what took place. It is not telling them what to do. It is loving them. It is also being free to be yourself. It blesses you and is a liberating (saving) experience. It plants seed in people hearts. Finally, it is obeying to Jesus’ command. Just talking about it, if you think wrong, it will bring fear in your heart, but, if you think right, it will bring an anointing on you. I believe that now you can feel it too.

4. Carol_AnnD says:

I read Acts chapter 26

5. JeanC says:

Paul’s defence was sincere and truthful because his mission was lined up with the Holy Spirit Jesus.

Comments are closed.